musings and rantings of a blue state non bio mom

the real-life adventures of me, my partner, and our journey through ivf-enabled same sex TWIN motherhood (with not so infrequent rantings about politics in general).

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Politicizing my daily life...again

Happy June, everyone.

It's pouring here and has been for two days now. The basil in the garden is getting flooded, and everything outside is slippery and yucky. Only the mosquitoes seem to be enjoying the environment right now. And with a pregnant wife and a sick dog, we are doing more than our fair share of ruining the ozone layer and producing greenhouse gases with our non-stop AC usage. But at least we don't really drive our gas-guzzling twin-and-dog-mobile.

Anyway, on the ranting front, I was doing my daily blogroll when I came across W's radio address--now the man could be dealing with something urgent, like his disastrous war in Iraq, the Haditha massacre, rising gas prices, global warming, or any other host of important issues that have eluded him. But NOOOO---he has to go ahead and deal with the really significant issue of our time--campaigning to ban gay marriage. Because, after all, you know that "President Mandate" would not squander his precious time on trivial aspects of life focused on by, say, the likes of "Ozone Man" Gore.

This just gets me boiling mad.

Meanwhile--other aspects of my life tickle me in ways that I cannot even express---Baby B (Olivia? Hallie?) has been kicking up a storm all morning. My hand has been plastered to BioMom's burgeoning tummy and I've been playing the "OK, Baby, Kick" game for hours. Tons of fun and it makes me giggle and jump for joy. I cannot wait to meet these two wonderful characters.

Today we'll be launching our second offensive on the hall closet and girls' room---there's tons of stuff in both (some of which I can no longer identify). We'll be doing this while babysitting our adorable next door neighbor Karina:




Her mommy and daddy need to go off to the Burn Unit at a local hospital. Daddy (our next door neighbor) was making dinner last night when the oil in his pan caught fire and burned his hand really badly (second and third degree burns, up and down his right arm). Frightening. We're really worried about him---he's extremely stoic and not all that good at taking care of himself (he is most excellent at taking care of others, but that's part of the problem) and even through the morphine and percocet, it must have hurt like hell. It's his driving hand (he has a stick shift) and his writing hand, and we're not sure what the prognosis is yet. It's frightening how much can go wrong in such a short period of time. Keep fingers crossed for him.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger liz.mccarthy said…

    HI, I just saw your post on Holland Eden's site and wanted to invite you to come vist our Micro Preemie Blog Mom's group (we have another mom-mom set of parents, and many of us too have lost a twin - inlcuidng myself. My surviving twin spent 127 days in the NICU....I KNOW how tough it is!

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreemieBlogMoms/

    Liz

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger art-sweet said…

    Abster -

    I saw Liz' comment and went to Holland and Eden's site to find your comment and see what had happened since you last posted. I'm so sorry for the loss of Olivia and hope you and bio-mom are doing as best you can through this difficult time.

    Please know that I'm thinking of you and hoping everything turns out for the best with Hallie,

    -Art-Sweet

     

Post a Comment

<< Home